Wednesday, October 21, 2009

NARRATIVE: Project 3; Sound, Sonic Pallette (SFX, music, voiceovers, & trademark ideas)

In conducting my research, I ultimately arrive one very strong, broad idea when it comes to hand rendering letter forms, and that is the idea of expression. So my goal while collecting my palette was to find sound that was expressive and relevant to my subject. I have explored the idea of construction sounds; jack hammers, tractors, yelling, hammering, backing up trucks, etc. and it related in the sense of "building" letter forms. This idea would be driven heavily by sound effects as well as the possibility of voice-overs.

I also took a literal approach working with markers and recording expressive, dynamic movements with the marker. Along with the idea of hand rendered letter forms I also researched the history and stumbled upon some quotations by artists and designers that I felt were relevant to my subject matter and were also dynamic and expressive as well as somewhat abstract.

The most difficult sound I struggled with was lyrical, I found one song by N.W.A titled "Express Yourself." I am still in search for more. I have a handful of instrumental pieces that I felt related due to their expressive nature.

QUOTES:
"What joy there is in hearing yourself think,
and to make that thinking into ink."
- John Olsen, Australian Artist

"A written letter is like a bowl filled with a certain content. The purer the content, the more delicate strings of the human soul it touches."
- L. Pronenko

"There are five virtues: accuracy, literacy, a strong hand, industriousness, and the perfect writing utensils"
- Mir-Ali Khoravi

"Geometry can produce legible letter but art alone makes them beautiful. Art begins where geometry ends, and imparts to letters a character transcending mere measurement. "
- Paul Standard

"Faces of type are like men’s faces. They have their own expression; their complexion and peculiar twists and turns of line identify them immediately to friends, to whom each is full of identity."
- J.L. Frazier

SONGS:
N.W.A. "Express Yourself"
The Verve "Bittersweet Symphony"
Ramin Djawadi "Merchant of Death"
Ramin Djawadi "Mark II"

SFX:
Construction ambience
Truck backing up (beep, beep, beep)
Jack hammer

Pencil lines
Writing (marker & pencil)
Marker strokes


TRADEMARK:
With my trademark ideas I, again, went very literal towards my subject matter and worked with expressive marker strokes of various lengths, forms, and motions.
 

Marker Custom 4 by lbabb

Voiceover Exp 5 by lbabb

Express Yourself by lbabb

Truck-construction by lbabb

No comments:

Post a Comment