Friday, November 13, 2009

VISUAL LANGUAGE: Project 3; Information Graphic, Conceptual Progress

WEEK 1 PROGRESS:
Below is my progress based on my initial critique on Monday, Jamie and I had discussed revising and pushing my communication schematic to relate more to the playful, informal side of my concept of the soup can phones. With that I also revised the labels on the cans, I decided to go more "generic" for several reasons, one being its flexibility; if I change design schemes I will not have to re-shoot my cans in action, they are very basic and straight forward with a bit of stylistic flair. The idea of this bright white on black, generic but playful idea is growing on me and I am looking at applying that to my book design as well as my schematic.

So far I have done 3 case studies with surveys and photo shoots, below is a raw preview in to my shoots. Overall I am very happy with the shots and I feel it was very successful, I am interested, however, to see how the survey part played out; I will be reviewing those today in class. I plan to most likely incorporate those with my annotations to show "real world" educational experience with my model. In these case studies I was surprised as to how quickly they picked certain things up based on the relationship with the physical, interactive model. I was also surprised at how well they said the mode of communication worked...


pushes of my initial label designs, as you will see, I completely depart from this idea. Which I now do not see as such a bad thing... (above)



Decided to explore hand rendered type...so I used my hand writing. I feel it give a personal touch but still keeps it open-ended and generic for the sake of my photo shoots.

My working models...

this one has a tangled mess of noise, and it actually worked accordingly! (above)

Here is a look in to my photo shoots from yesterday. They are raw images and I plan on color correcting and cropping for use in my booklet/pamphlet that accompanies my installation.

 
 









IN-CLASS:

In class I started refining my schematic once again, this time working with the hand-rendered type idea I used on the can labels. I am working on making the schematic more playful and relateable to my can model and the connotation it holds, below is a look at that process.

I am also working on filtering through the survey responses and seeing which answers will be most relevant to the images and annotations. I am also planning on scanning those and use the person's handwriting to add yet another personal element that will be more relateable to the viewer.


surveys (above)




arrived at the idea of writing in the elements by hand, and in the end may be a hand-rendered schematic all together...possibly relating to the soup cans in an iconic way...






1 comment:

  1. The top two photographs (which appear to be more for blog documentation purposes) have a lot of potential for further exploration for use in the final piece. In particular continue pushing depth of field, lighting (and that 50/50 white/black symmetry). Also, the white brick building compliments the cans "anti" aesthetic but watch out for all the other distracting elements in the photos.

    Try some other techniques to translate to digital than just scanning in the responses.

    Your 'hand rendered' schematic has a dominate 'digital fingerprint'. Try more versions. Some mixing of the digital more purposely with the hand.

    Also, you have some unnecessary content redundancies in the schematic.

    ReplyDelete