Monday, November 30, 2009

VISUAL LANGUAGE: Project 3; Progress, Progress, Progress...

I have made quite a bit of progress over break but there are still some things I am in need of working out and have not arrived at the right solution with just yet. But here is a look at what I have done.


I worked with a lot of different accent colors in search of one that works well with the black and white scheme of my booklet. I was looking for colors that provided contrast to the black and white but also complimented it as well. I arrived at a cyan-like blue that gives great contrast but works in harmony with the black and white. (above)

In relation to the accent color, I worked with the thumbnail images and how they will be rendered in the booklet. They are an accent to the focal images on the spreads so I took a graphic approach with them so that the two images do not compete photographically. Above are some iterations, and I found the most success when working with a duo-tone combined with a halftone dot effect. However, I am not quite getting the effect I was as it is hard to gauge screen to print how they will turn out due to scale. (above)

 

 
 
 
 
A couple iterations of the Sender and Receiver spreads with different photos and crops (above)

Above is the 'Channel' spread and here I have integrated a second annotation the applies directly to the interaction of Ian and Kelsey. I plan to integrate these types of annotations in to the other spreads as well.
 
 
'Message' and 'Noise' are above, I also worked with flipping the grid to give a but more appeal to the booklet so that each page turned isn't always like the previous. I am also working on some 'relief' spreads that will break from the annotation and breakdown of each element and focus more on the conversation and interaction with the can phones.

This is obviously a very brief exploration of the 'relief' spreads; I had the idea of the two images, although separate, working together as if they were separate ends of the conversation. This way I can tie in several of the elements and the user can then better visualize the idea of the model in context.

Booklet Progress:
 



 
 

Here is a look at the latest version of my communication model schematic:

No comments:

Post a Comment