Below is my progress from this week based off of feedback from Monday's group critique. I have done some re-shoots of both interaction with the cans as well as the cans themselves. I took in to further consideration the surroundings and background elements while shooting the interaction pieces, and took context in to consideration while shooting the cans in their controlled environment. Overall this week was really successful and have gotten a lot accomplished and I feel that I am progressing in a good direction.
The photographs are more aimed towards what I was originally looking for and I have not decided whether I want to re-shoot the other pairs I worked with in the interaction experiment. I am contemplating whether to have multiple case studies or whether to have just one. I feel that having one case study, 2 people interacting through out the entire booklet is more personal with the user and could possible keep them from getting confused seeing multiple users. However, the different dialog would be interesting and I am still searching for a way to incorporate the survey questions or if they are even needed at all.
I have also revised my schematic and I think I have resolved the language (hand versus digital). I decided to make the entire diagram hand rendered and revised digitally. I took in to careful consideration how things appeared as I did not want things to appear too digital and I feel I accomplished that quite well. I also decided to incorporate the annotative numbers I plan to use in the booklet. I felt it gave a sense of continuity between the schematic and booklet which tied the 2 together and they now work cohesively.
Here is a look at the progress I have made this week...
Final Schematic (for this week at least) --above--
Hand Type Elements:
Square background elements or no squares? I think I am liking it without.
In Class Progress:
Today in class I met with Mo and Tom to review and critique each others work. After discussing things with them there are some elements in which I am going to explore within my booklet layout as far as hierarchy, imagery, call-outs and annotations.
To reference my schematic on each spread we had talked about having the element being discussed featured on the page with color indication as well as featuring the entire schematic with color indication. The idea with this addition will be giving the user an easy way to indicate where they are within the booklet as well as the schematic without having to flip back to the beginning of the booklet where the full schematic is featured.
There was also discussion on my photos and their hierarchy. I had originally had the person interacting as the main focal point image to give a very personal feeling to the dialog in the booklet. Tom had mentioned swapping my images and making the high contrast can image the high focal point and adding annotations within the white background of the photo and featuring the interaction as a supplemental image to the annotation. In relation to that I am going to experiment how the interaction image is placed over the main image via frames, overlays, and possibly eliminating the background which would highlight the organic figure of the persons.
I plan on exploring typeface as well...I chose Gill Sans because I feel it is a very playful font, as I am going for the generic, playful feel I felt it fit. Its not as sterile as other san-serif fonts and the curve nature of the typeface gives it the playful aspect.
Going back to the schematic, I am taking in to great consideration whether I want it to be stand-alone or if it should be a fully integrated part of the booklet. This will play into how the elements are labeled, my thinking is the numbers, that coincide with the numbers for annotative purposes inside the book, will be taking the place of the element name in the schematic which then requires the user to go through the booklet to determine what each element, associated with a number, means. If I decide to have the schematic work separately as well as inside the booklet the element names will most likely be added as well as a brief annotation.
As of right now I am working with one page spread so that I am able to lay down all of the elements that will occur through out the booklet, once I establish a soild layout of visuals and copy placement for this spread it will be a matter of placing new images and copy to create the other element spreads. In the mean time I an working on color correcting and selecting images to work with for the final booklet.
At this point I am torn between the two hierachical layouts...I like the more personal aspect of the large interactive images, but I also like the strong contrast and impact of the can photos as well as the effect the annotation directly on the image has. Also the impact the horizontal image has on the vertical page spread. I am working with both as to how to incorporate the schematic so that it is not distracting from the main images and information. Decision, decisions...