Monday, December 7, 2009

VISUAL LANGUAGE: Project 3; Communicating A Communication Model, Final Statement

This was a rather strange and interesting project when it all started a number of weeks ago creating 'postcards' in which we communicated to someone through a digital world. However, the process came to light as we learned about the several communication models and their elements. For me, the pieces fit and the ideas behind the communication models really spoke to me and made sense. With this understanding, I pushed to make my information graphic even easier for someone to understand. I arrived at the very relateable, childish, and fun subject matter of a soup can telephone. It not only blatantly referenced communication through the idea of a telephone but it also contextualized the idea of communication is a very easy to learn subject.

I modeled my information graphic from the combination of 3 communication models by Berlo, Emmert/Donaghy, and Shannon/Weaver, finding that each had different key elements that I felt were crucial in explaining and contextualizing communication. From the My basic model consists of a Sender and Receiver, Channel, Message, Noise, and Feedback. From the Berlo model, who's priority is the relationship between the Sender and Receiver, I took the elements of the 5 senses depicted in the Channel and the communication skills of the Sender and Receiver. The ideas of contextualization and Sender/Receiver duality are priorities in the Emmert/Donaghy model and its key features were not only the Sender/Receiver duality but also the perception and reasoning of the Sender and Receiver. The Shannon/Weaver model prioritizes mechanical mediation, in other words, how to break down communication long distance versus face to face. From this model I borrowed the sub-elements to the Sender and Receiver which are the encoder and decoder respectively.

Looking at this project from start to finish as well as the entire semester in Visual Language, I have taken a lot from it, not only how to communicate to audiences effectively in many different forms but also the development of the elements that bring you to the point of communication from image making and photography to color and typography. This project specifically has brought all of those elements together for me, I not only created something visual and aesthetically pleasing but it is also informative and functional on many different levels. This project, in a way, was a big breakthrough for me, being able to be introduced to a form of user testing and working with outside resources and people. As I broke down the model and explained it to the people I intended to use in my project, it was very satisfying to see them interact and actually understand and visualize the model as they were communicating with each other. All things considered I feel my information graphic is very successful and embodies the experience of this project from day one; it breaks down the model in to very understandable and concise pieces. Through all the trials and tribulations, hard pushes, do-overs, and sleepless nights I found this semester to be very gratifying and a large step in my learning as a graphic designer.


Below is a look at the finished piece, enjoy!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment