Thursday, September 23, 2010

MX | Reading Response: The Web is Dead. Long Live the Internet

This article was quite interesting as I never really dove into the idea that there is a differentiation between the "Web" and the "Internet"; and I think it is summed up quite well by Michael Wolff when he states, "less about searching, more about the getting". This is so prevalent in our day and age, we no longer want to search for things whether its music, games, or research, we would much rather have it readily accessible and at our fingertips. This gives birth to the idea of 'semi-closed platforms' that simple exist on the Net and do not utilized the Web browser. I thought it was quite interesting that html data is only 25% of internet traffic and the remaining 75% exists away from the Web on closed platforms such as email, Skype, iTunes, Xbox Live, etc. And as Morgan Stanley stated the Net will surpass the Web in this wave of mobile devices and how they utilized single function apps to bring ease and convenience to the user.

All of this points justifying the Net ring true in my personal life, I often find myself reaching for my ipod touch to catch up with news and updates in the morning rather than firing up my laptop to do the same. The ease of apps is a definitely advantage and serve as a rich outreach to Web information. It is very interesting to hear that HTML 5 is attempting to bridge this disconnect and revamp the Web browser as more app-like in hopes of enticing its lost audience, but will it prove sufficient with today's on the go lifestyle where mobile, hand-held devices seem to be way more effective?

The addressing of Web-based advertisement was intriguing as well, it brought to light just how ineffective they have been, and I think this has to be due to their lack of catering to their audience. Wolff's point about how the attract a 'fraudulent' audience make perfect sense as they are put out on the Web with no context and therefore suffer in attracting their loyal following. Facebook has recently been supporting advertisements that cater to your personal tastes, and although they are still a nuisance I still find myself clicking on one occasionally. But it seems Steve Jobs has dominated this venture on the Net with the content rich applications and platforms such as iTunes in which the content is provided and controlled unlike Google who simply takes in anything and everything and only controls the traffic it promotes. It seems as if we are beginning to master the experience aspect of the Net and eliminate the needless searching and obsolete advertising and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment